I love this app! There’s one feature that prevented me from giving it a 5 star rating – more on that later – but this is, in essence, a 5 star app. With Conversation TherAppy, Tactus Therapy Solutions has continued to do what it does best – develop high quality, easy to use, customizable apps that can be used with individuals across age groups. This app is perfect for adults and teens and is great for older children too – the developer recommends those aged 9 and up and I’d agree with that recommendation.
What Conversation TherAppy puts at your fingertips is a huge range of pictures and suggested questions that will allow you to work one-on-one or in groups, on eliciting expressive language, building and practicing conversation skills and also reasoning skills like inferences. All speech therapists could find uses for this app but it would also be a great addition to the toolkit of special needs teachers, all middle school and high school teachers, youth workers, caregivers of elderly people as well as parents of older children and teens.
You’ll note that, even though this app has lots of uses in a therapeutic context it’s possible uses extend far beyond therapy. Anyone who could use support in discussing topics that are often difficult to broach could utilize this app as a starting point. Topics as broad as aging, sexual health and identity, police brutality, drug use, car seats and online shopping are all touched on, but don’t be alarmed, the topics are fully customizable by age range.
The home screen is where your customization and user experience begins. A brief tutorial takes you through the major features of the app but detailed help is always accessible via the info button on the top left of the screen. Connect allows you to visit Tactus Therapy Solutions on Facebook and Twitter, sign up for their email newsletter and review Conversation TherAppy on the App Store. You can also tap on Other Apps to browse the developer’s other offerings on the App Store. Therapists will want to set up their clients in the User Hub, and Settings is where you customize the app to suit each user’s individual needs.
There are currently four language options with more to come – English (North American), French, Portuguese and Zulu. You can select the number of trials, scoring sounds and toggle links on and off. For me the most important setting options are: the ability to input email addresses so that results are automatically shared with others, Content filtering where you can choose if you want topics to appear that are appropriate for children, teens or adults and then the Customization Database.
This database lets you go to town with respect to customization. You can turn topics off or on so, for example, maybe you don’t want to discuss couponing with your child or, perhaps you want to add the topic of divorce into a child’s database because it’s something they’re experiencing right now. Even better, you can edit the text of the questions themselves which is a fantastic feature.
Once you’ve set everything up and you start the app, the client or group is shown a picture. Tactus always uses incredibly high quality, clear, pictures in their apps and this one is no exception. There are ten different buttons either side of the picture which represent different conversational prompts: Describe, Define, Remember, Decide, Feel, Infer, Predict, Narrate, Evaluate and Brainstorm. Score client’s responses and check on their progress via the User Hub.
There is so much to like about this app:
- Not sure if it’s the right fit for you? No problem, just download the free Lite version and give it a try.
- The pictures are not only crisp and clear but well chosen – each one I looked at prompted an emotional reaction in me – they are designed to really engage folks in conversation.
- The depth and breadth of the topics and the artfully written conversational prompts.
- Perfect for adults and teens but great for older children as well.
- Data tracking, reporting (in graph form even!) and results sharing
- More customization options than you can shake a stick at.
There are however a couple of suggestions I’d like Tactus to consider for future updates:
- Tactus makes it crystal clear on their website that this app isn’t designed to be used by children unsupervised. Fair enough, but in the real world that’s not always possible. My kids like to play with my iPad simply because it’s mine and I can’t supervise them every single second. One of the strengths of this app is that there is hard-hitting content but a lot of that content is something I don’t want my 7 year-olds stumbling across. The only solution for me right now is to delete the app from my iPad when they want to use it. I’d so appreciate it if they considered a simple form of gating that the Information, Connect, Other Apps and Settings options would be behind. This would also have the benefit of cleaning up the Home screen and make it less busy.
- I would love if there was the option to add your own picture and questions or at least a way to submit requests for additions to the developer. It may be that I simply couldn’t find it but I searched in vain for a picture covering the topic of death. I think this would be an invaluable addition, not just for discussion with children if a friend, relative or beloved pet dies or is dying, but for adults also – do they want a living will in place, what are their wishes with respect to resuscitation in the event of a medical crisis, etc.
- People often learn more from watching than reading so a how-to use video in the Info section would be a welcome addition.
In summary, this is a wonderful app with a huge amount of quality content and so many possible uses. It’s well worth the current price of $24.99. Highly recommended!
If you would like to buy this app please use this link:
Conversation TherAppy – Tactus Therapy Solutions Ltd.
Conversation Therapy: Talking Topics for SLPby Tactus Therapy Solutions Ltd.
Category: Education, Medical
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone4-iPhone4, iPad2Wifi-iPad2Wifi, iPad23G-iPad23G, iPhone4S-iPhone4S, iPadThirdGen-iPadThirdGen, iPadThirdGen4G-iPadThirdGen4G, iPhone5-iPhone5, iPodTouchFifthGen-iPodTouchFifthGen, iPadFourthGen-iPadFourthGen, iPadFourthGen4G-iPadFourthGen4G, iPadMini-iPadMini, iPadMini4G-iPadMini4G, iPhone5c-iPhone5c, iPhone5s-iPhone5s, iPadAir-iPadAir, iPadAirCellular-iPadAirCellular, iPadMiniRetina-iPadMiniRetina, iPadMiniRetinaCellular-iPadMiniRetinaCellular, iPhone6-iPhone6, iPhone6Plus-iPhone6Plus, iPadAir2-iPadAir2, iPadAir2Cellular-iPadAir2Cellular, iPadMini3-iPadMini3, iPadMini3Cellular-iPadMini3Cellular, iPodTouchSixthGen-iPodTouchSixthGen, iPhone6s-iPhone6s, iPhone6sPlus-iPhone6sPlus, iPadMini4-iPadMini4, iPadMini4Cellular-iPadMini4Cellular, iPadPro-iPadPro, iPadProCellular-iPadProCellular, iPadPro97-iPadPro97, iPadPro97Cellular-iPadPro97Cellular, iPhoneSE-iPhoneSE, iPhone7-iPhone7, iPhone7Plus-iPhone7Plus, iPad611-iPad611, iPad612-iPad612, iPad71-iPad71, iPad72-iPad72, iPad73-iPad73, iPad74-iPad74, iPhone8-iPhone8, iPhone8Plus-iPhone8Plus, iPhoneX-iPhoneX
Size: 97.6 MB
Screenshots(Click to enlarge)
Screenshots for iPad(Click to enlarge)
If you would like to win a promo code for this app, please enter via the widget below. Winners will be emailed and must contact The iMums within 48 hours to claim their prize. This giveaway is open to everyone, worldwide, and an iTunes account is required to claim the prize. Please ensure you have read and understand our Terms & Conditions. Good luck!